Role purpose – Technical Support Engineer
- The jobholder is a junior member of a team responsible for the integrity and availability of all centralised corporate databases and associated applications and servers. The jobholder will support production and development environments. The jobholder may also be required to become an active member of large IT Projects.
- The role holder will support more senior team members, act in a proactive manner, and be keen to learn and progress within the Database Team.
- They will have ownership for achieving and improving personal performance, acting on opportunities in their role and seeking new opportunities to develop. A focus will be on achieving personal goals/daily targets and having a personal impact on the goals set for the wider team.
- They will be open to personal feedback and work on leveraging strengths in their development areas whilst building positive relationships with team members and stakeholders, showing an awareness of different perspectives and styles.
- They will be confident to speak up in meetings and state their opinions, spotting opportunities and escalating issues to improve their own performance and processes and costs at team level.
- They will follow well defined priorities within a given framework and manage with a small degree of ambiguity and will have a clear understanding of how their role fits into the bigger picture and show curiosity to understand the bigger picture.
Role responsibilities & accountabilities – Technical Support Engineer
- Support more senior team members in all aspects of the role
- Provide 2nd / 3rd line technical support for client databases and associated applications, focussing on prevention, root cause fix and automation of issue resolution, rather than addressing only symptoms
- Supports management of database and associated server resources, including installation, monitoring, performance tuning and backups
- Takes full responsibility for the quality and timeliness of their work within assigned budgets, and ensures that all standards are observed, and procedures are carried out
- Carries out defined tasks associated with the planning, installation, upgrade, operation, control, documentation and maintenance of databases and associated applications
- Contributes to the design, capacity planning and strategic growth planning of all centralised databases and associated applications
- Provides technical support for IT professionals within the Company in the area of database management and associated applications. Monitors latest developments in the area of expertise to provide longer-term technical planning
- Reviews all areas of data management to maintain and improve efficiency. Required to follow and contribute to standard procedures for use by all database administrators
- Support recovery plan creation and testing
- Implements new application software releases and patches in collaboration with application support and development teams
- Supports the investigation of complex problems to diagnose underlying causes. Implements known on-site solutions and workarounds and assists users to recover and continue operation
- Assists users experiencing difficulties in using databases and middleware systems, products or services, including managing incidents referred by less experienced staff.
- Strives to enhance the service offered by Technical Services through the Continuous Improvement Process
Connections – Technical Support Engineer
- IT Database Team Manager
- Wider Infrastructure (LIONS) Team
- BI Team
- App Support Teams
- IT Development Manager
- IT Systems Testing Manager
- Programme & Project Managers
Key Experience – Technical Support Engineer
- Experience of supporting production and development databases, environments and applications
- Experience of 1st / 2nd / 3rd line support
- Experience of working with all the components of IT infrastructure (hardware, databases, virtualization, operating systems, local area networks etc.).
Technical – Technical Support Engineer
- Professional knowledge – The job requires professional knowledge gained through substantial applicable work experience, to supplement formal knowledge, in order to apply principles and concepts of own discipline in resolving issues as they arrive.
- Their level of proficiency enables them to: (1) Apply and consolidate specialist skills and knowledge and ensure essential procedures are followed; (2) Help to define the standards and specifications around which others will operate.
- Some knowledge / experience of: SQL & Windows Server, T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS, Powershell, Oracle & Linux experience an advantage
- Business expertise – The job requires a comprehensive understanding of how areas collectively integrate within the organisation sub-function to contribute to achieving the goals of the business. The job also requires a basic understanding of the industry sector in which it is operating. Performance is subject to the understanding of how areas coordinate and contribute to the objectives of the organisation sub-function.
- Basic commercial awareness relates to the need to be aware of the competition but with only a superficial understanding of how each competitor differentiates themselves and with only a limited understanding of latest developments or changes of market conditions in the industry sector.
- Problem solving – The job requires good analytical skills as well as evaluative judgement based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations. “Multiple sources of information” refers to a diverse range of internal and external sources such as procedures and practises (in other areas, teams, companies, etc). The complexity implied at this level of problem solving relates to the ability to filter, prioritise, analyse and validate potentially complex and dynamic material.
Behavioural – Technical Support Engineer
- Anticipate and Accelerate – explaining clearly, analysing problems, seeing opportunities
- Spotting opportunities and escalating issues to improve own performance and processes and costs at team level.
- Follow well defined priorities and prioritising within a given framework and managing a small degree of ambiguity.
- Clear understanding how your role fits into the bigger picture. Showing curiosity to understand the bigger picture.
- Drive – self-belief, using initiative, aspiring to succeed
- Confident in skills and ability at level, operating mostly within familiar areas and boundaries of role, regularly steps out of personal comfort zone.
- Ownership for achieving and improving personal performance, acting on opportunities in role and seeking new opportunities to develop.
- A focus on achieving personal goals/daily targets and having a personal impact on the goals set for the wider team.
- Partner and Trust – inspiring and engaging others, understanding others, understanding myself
- Open to personal feedback and works on leveraging strengths in the development areas.
- Builds positive relationships with team members and stakeholders, aware of different perspectives and styles.
- Credibility based on a good track record. Confidence to speak up in meetings and state your opinions.
- Salary Offer £40,000 - £50,000 GBP £40,000 - £50,000 Month