As the Senior IT Infrastructure Operations Engineer, you will have a responsibility for ensuring the availability, maintenance and stability of the networking environment. The successful applicant will show pride and passion for their work and be willing to learn.
Aim of the Job
- Oversee computer networks to maximise performance and minimise downtime
- Confer with management and network users regularly to clarify needs
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve problems
- Coordinate network access and use
- Monitor and enforce compliance to internal process and security standard requirements for network infrastructure
- Review and continual enhancement of BAU processes and procedures relating to network infrastructure
- Continually research new technologies and educational opportunities
- The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will perform a key role assisting in moving new technologies into production while managing expectations and delivering solutions to the business.
- A key part of the role will involve Implementing change, upgrades, and diagnosis within the networking team.
- The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will have the following responsibilities.
- Technical fault finding and network incident management.
- Supporting IT colleagues with resolving a mixture of 2nd and 3rd line tickets and acting as a final point for resolving escalations from our Network Operations team.
- Provide diagnosis and resolution of network incidents.
- Ensure resolutions are fit for purpose and implemented in a safe and controlled manner.
- Maintain and ensure high levels of network availability and resilience.
- Keep CMDB/documentation up to date and accurate.
- Carry out work to the appropriate quality standards whilst deploying and maintaining corporate standards.
- Communicate with the team to identify needs, monitoring performance, and troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve issues with network and systems
- Create, revise, update, and maintain documentation of environment and operational procedures
- Create reports and documentation outlining findings and solutions
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with network infrastructure and hardware
- Proficiency with infrastructure devices, including switches, routers, wireless access points, controllers, and firewalls
- Experience in monitoring, and repairing local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN)
- Manage multiple work streams and priorities to ensure smooth delivery through hands-on effort.
- During the planning and rollout of upgrades and changes ensure that known issues are addressed and problems are escalated appropriately. Analyse incidents & problems registered by the Service Desk to ensure future product releases incorporate appropriate response to those incidents and problems.
Proven experience of working with
- Checkpoint, Fortigate, Illumio firewalls
- VPN client
- Cisco switches & routers
- HP / Aruba switches
- Internal DNS
- External DNS
- AD sites & services
- TCP/IP including IP addressing, routing & bridging.
- Active directory
- Reports to Infrastructure Operations Manager
- Project Management Team
- Infrastructure Engineering Team
- All other Operational IT Teams
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent approach to planning work, managing priorities and using own initiative to overcome issues.
- Able to gather information from non technical people and correctly interpret it.
- Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- A commitment to maintaining high industry support standards and to providing an efficient and effective service mentality.
- Decisive, creative, analytical, and proactive thinking with effective communication skills
- Team player, adaptable, persistent
- Orderly & enquiring mind.